April 5, 2015

My Autism


  • I have never been a tactile individual. 
  • I was non verbal until around the age of 3. 
  • I had speech therapy as a child.
  • New York labeled me as a disabled child before I was 3.
  • New York provided a speech therapist for me.
  • I grew up in Illinois.
  • I was placed in a special needs preschool class before being main streamed.
  • My mom would drop a pan in the kitchen and I never turned around.
  • I have always had special interests that I can talk about for hours.
  • I have always had social issues.
  • Girls weren't really diagnosed with autism back when I was a child.
  • I stimmed by rocking in my bed until I went off to college at almost 19.
  • I stim by driving in my car in the same areas and roads.
  • I used to stim by rocking back and forth as a child.
  • I still stim in certain ways with my hands and feet.
  • I was misdiagnosed most of my life with depression, ADD and anxiety.
  • I have some balance issues.
  • I am extremely sensitive to heat.
  • I am very sensitive to touch.
  • I am very sensitive to certain textures in food, clothing and temperatures.
  • My upper body, arms, face and neck are the most sensitive.
  • I am not sick.
  • I do not need a cure.
  • While I think differently, I am a human and am fine.


Happy Autism Awareness Month!!



No comments:

Post a Comment