February 23, 2015

Taking One Thing at a Time

Before I talk about how Lincoln's training is going, I have some good news! My sphenocath/peripheral nerve block has been scheduled for March 11th! We will see if this helps my chronic migraines.  This winter has been horrible with all of the constant atmospheric pressure changes.  My asthma has also come back with the frigid temperatures.  I love winter, but I do not love my asthma returning.

Training a service dog takes time, energy, focus, money and dedication.  While Linc and I have been working on basically the same four commands, I have been adding in new challenges or using two of them together. Linc has retrieved a sock for me before, but I wanted to see if he would "tug" one off of my foot. He did it perfectly.
Next, I wanted to add in the "give" command and give me the sock after grabbing and tugging it off.  So, with this command, I have used three of the task commands we have been working on: "grab it" "tug" and "give."
Lincoln and I have also been working on various objects of various sizes and materials.
Here is a video of Linc retrieving four different objects, one right after the other. I am very proud of Linc for accomplishing this!
Lincs new training vest finally arrived.  I LOVE it! It is very visible in all types of weather and is reflective at night to car headlights.  I prefer to get vests in more of a "neon" color because they tend to be reflective on their own.
 The top of the vest.  As you can see, it says do not pet or talk to all over. =)
 Lincoln tucked under the booth while at lunch with my mom the other day.
 This sign should be on every grocery store, restaurant, etc place.  Pets are not acceptable in non pet stores.  I have had untrained fake dogs go after Mac and I can't have either of my dogs, whether my full sd or my sdit hurt.  It would be devastating! 


No comments:

Post a Comment