January 18, 2015

Continued Service Dog Training

Mac, Linc and I went to see the Hobbit (3) again. I wanted to see how having both with me would be. I also figured the Hobbit wouldn't be busy. Mac slept and Linc only whined during the dragon sequence. He didn't understand the noise. He glanced at the screen through the seats while laying down. Other than that, he did fine. He also left Mac alone, which made me happy.  His behavior when it comes to loud noises is quite impressive.  He is staying calm and just shows some normal curiosity.  I am extremely proud of his progress.
Lincoln is currently in agility foundations again and advanced obedience.  In this class, we are working towards his Advanced Canine Good Citizen title.  His task training will become more intense after he is neutered and has his hip and elbow prelims.  His public access training is going extremely well.  As you have read, he went to multiple different museums, stores and got new experiences over New Years week.  
I also weighed him this week.  He is 55.5lbs at 9 months old.  He is still 22".  I am hoping that he grows one more inch, but his size is not a huge issue for counterbalance.  Once his OFA prelims are done, I will hopefully order his Bold Lead Designs basic harness to begin training in.

Lincolns trained tasks will include:

  • Counterbalance
  • Behavior interruption (pawing when picking at skin)
  • Guide work (door, find car, find help)
  • Deep pressure therapy (on legs)
  • Pick up and retrieve items
  • Body blocking
  • Maybe brace when balance is off
For information on service dogs, please visit Service Dog Central.



No comments:

Post a Comment