January 25, 2014

Learning to Eat Paleo

I went to see the new holistic doctor here in my city at the beginning of the month.  I discussed my digestive and health issues with her and asked about the Paleo diet.  She suggested I give it a try and eliminate the dairy and grains from my diet.  SO, soon after, I started on Paleo.

Here are things I have learned so far:

1. Always have eggs (they can be a life saver if you run out of thawed meats)

2. Try to eat leaner meats

3. Always have meat ready to cook

4. Stock up on veggies and fruits for the low carb diet and as sides

5. Talk to a nutritionist and get help balancing out the diet

6. Always pre plan your days! You can always change what you plan to eat.

I am now working with a nutritionist (Sally Twellman) to help me balance my diet and lose weight.  Since I have gone Paleo, I have lost 10lbs of water weight which is normal.  I am not saying that this diet is a total fix, but so far I'm not craving the processed foods I used to.  Sally and I both agree that limiting processed foods is extremely beneficial. I want to live a cleaner life and it starts with my body.  My dogs eat a completely clean raw diet and I need to make a similar change.  I do feel more energetic, my migraines are fewer and I don't feel deprived. When I ate processed foods, I always felt deprived. Now I am cooking almost every meal (except Japanese hibachi salmon san sauce and rice every so often and some avocado sushi as my paleo cheat meals). I also use whole ingredients like fruits, veggies and meats.

Paleo Cheat Sheet (not mine)

Here are some examples of my meals so far:

Roast Chicken & Veggies

 Salmon, sweet potato and veggies

 Lamb burger, cauliflower rice, sautéed onions (coconut oil) and avocado

 Turkey burger (with egg) and sautéed veggies

 Lamb burger and roasted veggies

 Lamb burger (4oz), sweet potato and roasted cauliflower (with olive oil)

No comments:

Post a Comment