July 3, 2015

My Migraines

My migraines are called hemiplegic migraines with aura because half of my body (usually the right side) goes numb and I have weakness.  My migraines can also last for about 4 days straight.  Individuals with aura migraines or hemiplegic migraines also have an increases chance of stroke.  My migraines began when I was 9/10 years old and have continued ever since.  My original migraines were considered (silent) due to the lack of pain, but the rest of the symptoms were there and they mimicked a mini stroke.  It wasn't under I was about 22 that I began having the striking, ice pick type pain during my migraines.  This just makes it worse. 

Episodes of prolonged aura (up to several days or weeks)
  • Hemiplegia (paralysis on one side of the body)
  • Fever
  • Meningismus (symptoms of meningitis without the actual illness and accompanying inflammation)
  • Impaired consciousness ranging from confusion to profound coma
  • Headache, which may begin before the hemiplegia or be absent
  • Ataxia (defective muscle coordination)
  • The onset of the hemiplegia may be sudden and simulate a stroke.¹
  • Phonophobia (increased sensitivity to sound) and/or photophobia (increased sensitivity to light)

No comments:

Post a Comment