March 5, 2016

Orijen Freeze Dried Adult Dog Food Review

Unfortunately, my dad suffered a transient ischemic attack Thursday (3/3/16) and had to be rushed to the emergency department and then admitted for the night.  We thought we would have to have our pet sitter feed our animals. So, after we left him because they were conducting tests.  I headed to one of our local specialty pet stores.  I tried to figure out something that would be fast and easy for out pet sitter that Linc would hopefully eat.  I grabbed two 6 ounce bags of Orijen's Biologically Appropriate Freeze Dried Dog Food in their chicken flavor.

Instead, my mom and I were home to feed the animals.  Linc ate his rabbit legs, but wouldn't touch his organic chicken gizzards.  So, I decided to mix up some of the freeze dried Orijen.

The Orijen patties break up much easier than Stella & Chewy's and seem more fragile.  But, they do not rehydrate as quickly. I added a lukewarm water to the food and stirred it around.  Then I gave it to Linc.

 Linc dove right in and seemed to enjoy it thoroughly. He didn't really walk away from it and basically finished all of it.  What I like about this style freeze dried compared to Sojos or IandLoveandYou is that there aren't large chunks of fruits and vegetables.  Those never seem to digest properly and almost always come out in the stools in full form.  Linc also seems to prefer this style to the others.
Obviously he enjoyed it. This for me is not a sustainable diet due to cost, but could be very useful for:
  • If I have to move, this will definitely help during that time I
  • If I am traveling 
  • If I forgot to take something out the night before to thaw.
  • Feed you kibble, but want to try raw
  • Have a small animal where this would financially work out fine

I would suggest this as an add on for a fresh raw diet or to add to a kibble diet once or twice a week to add the benefits of raw.




FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS

Chicken (ground with bone)*, turkey (ground with bone)*, whole herring*, chicken liver*, chicken heart*, whole eggs*, spinach greens*, pea fiber, turkey liver*, turkey heart*, whole flounder*, ground sunflower seeds, pumpkin*, Butternut Squash*, Imperator carrots* cranberries*, blackberries*, blueberries*, Red Delicious apples*, Bartlett pears*, Red Heart plums*, Tilton apricots*, brown kelp*, mixed tocopherols, chicory root, dandelion root, summer savory, peppermint leaf*, ginger root*.

* FRESH AND PRESERVATIVE-FREE

SUPPLEMENTS

Zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate.


Orijen is a high quality freeze dried food that is available through various sources. It is produced in Canada. I am in no way connected to the company. This review is voluntary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment