July 31, 2016

Pearly Whites

Let's talk about raw edible bones that are great for dental care.  I feed edible bones daily at dinner time and only at dinner time. My boys do get bully sticks, cow hooves, antlers and dehydrated tracheas as chews, but not edible bones.


Rabbit

The various edible bones I use are usually quite easy to get a hold of and some are harder to find for raw feeders. The more rare bones I give include:

-   Rabbit (entire animal)
-   Lamb (ribs, necks & legs)
-   Goat (ribs, necks & legs)
-   Venison (ribs, necks & legs)
-   Duck (heads, necks, carcasses & quarters)





The more common edible bones I give include:
-   Chicken (wings, necks, quarters, backs & drumsticks)
-   Turkey (legs, necks, wings, backs)
-   Various fish 

Here are some lovely goat ribs my boys had as their bone content. Soft enough bone to chew and eat, but heavy enough to require some work. Definitely great for cleaning teeth.



You wouldn't necessarily think duck heads would take a while to chew, but the skull is a little thicker than other bones in a duck's body and requires more work when chewing. My boys go crazy over duck heads. They can be difficult to find, but definitely worth it as they fall under two raw categories: bone and organ meat.


Obviously turkey legs are easier to find, but they do tend to be massive. I feed both the large 1.5lb ones and the smaller 11-1lb legs. Turkey legs are awesome for teeth cleaning because they require the dog use both their incisors and their premolars when breaking them down. The same can be said about chicken quarters, which are also easier to get a hold of. I buy mine at local groceries. The quarters I buy can weigh between 8oz and 1lb, depending on the company.



No comments:

Post a Comment